Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fire Dept Nick Names

I'm sure anybody who reads this will wonder where I came up with the name for my blog. As you read about me you will know I volunteer at a local Fire Department, as such you will do something to get a nickname. Some will be obvious as to why, others not so much without the back-story. Most of my Department calls me by my last name as we already have a Nick and we are the same size and have the same appearance. While not on a call and PC is not required I get called another name...

The Irish Hand Grenade.

I'm sure you are thinking to yourself as to why. As I mentioned there are nicknames that require a back-story to understand, and this is the explanation. Anybody who knows me realizes a few things about me, I am just a little hyper, this fact is exacerbated by the amount of caffeine I intake daily, I'm normally laid back unless you push one of a few buttons the set me off...

Like a Grenade, I can sit idle on a shelf, I can be handled and carried around, never with a fear of going off until you pull my pin, then I go off.( I know it is one of my major faults and one that I continue to work on) Now please don't take me wrong, I'm by no means a hot head who blows his stack anytime something does not go my way. In fact most times stuff does not bother me in the slightest and I tend to be very level headed in very tough situations but every now and then my pin gets pulled... Most people love to be around when this happens as I'm never violent or aggressive. Instead I go on rants that would even make Dennis Leary proud, during which time most around me have some very good laughs at my methodical and calculated rantings about whatever has been bothering me at the time.

The other part of this is my fond love of Everything IRISH, as you guessed it I'm of IRISH decent :-)

So many people here me say that nickname and laugh but will never know the whole story, unless they know me then they figure it out quickly. Now you know and knowing is half the Battle...

 



1 comment: