Friday, January 13, 2012

The great adventure to Connecticut Part 5. The Journey Back Home

Uhg, My alarm is playing and I have only had a few hours sleep thanks to nausea and nightmares, but I'm determined to make this a pleasurable return trip HOME. Seeing as it was the last morning here I decided I would buy Doughnuts for everybody, since they where so amazing the day before. Yes I Procured My Two Favorites and a couple plain glazed for everybody else.




I packed my bags the night before, and made sure all my gear was stowed and anything TSA would remotely consider a weapon (Pens, Pencil, ID Pas with safety Pin ECT) was stowed in my Checked bag. We did a final check of the hotel room for personal belongings before leaving to checkout.

This is the last view I will see of the Thames River in SE Connecticut.
We checked out and loaded onto the bus, The Drivers name Was Roger. I'm sure your asking "why is this important ?", well the first thing that popped in my mind was the line from "Gone in Sixty Seconds" Where Nicholas Cage walks in the Ferarri Dealership and a GQ salesman walks up and Says

"My Name is Roger, is there something I can help you with"

To this Nicholas Cage's Character says "Roger, My name is Roger. You know what they Say Two Rogers don't make a Right"

Yes, I'm a Dork. I'm happy this way though ;-)

So I guess our Driver Roger did not think it was as funny as I did, because he drove like he was playing Grand Theft Auto on Xbox, I'm talking this guy drifted a 60' passenger bus, didn't even know that was possible. Our first drive took 35 minutes this guy made it in 12. OK maybe that was a slight exaggeration of the truth, but it seemed to go a lot quicker. I was very impressed with the Beautiful scenery SE Connecticut had to offer, it was very different from what I'm accustom to. It was a mixture of Texas Hill Country, with East Texas Hardwood Timber and Cedar, add some very tranquil streams zig zagging through the landscape and 150+ year old rock walls scattering the landscape. Very nice views

The Mystic River
Back in Rhode Island, Took this as we sped past at Mach 3
As we walked in the Airport, to our Gate I captured one of my Favorite Sights as a American, Our Nations Flag.
Shortly after Walking under this Flag, I was again pulled aside after a full body scan to be patted down by a over zealous TSA person. Keep in Mind I had on My Fire Dept Shirt and All of My ID's on me, yet I was still a suspect for some reason. Anyways even as such he had a nice additude about the whole situation so I did not let it ruin my day.

Here is what Rhode Island Looks like in the Rear View.
This Time flying into Washing D.C. I had a window seat and a perfect flight path for some good airial photographs, well the best I could do with my Iphone.


After we landed, I was informed we would have to leave the "Secure Section" of one side for the other "Secure Section" I cringed at the thought of another full body scan and pat down. As we walked down the way, I decided to pop in and get a souvenir for a Good person in my life who always inspires me ;-) as I walked out I decided another photo of my Favorite Flag was in order.
( I Have left the photo un-edited, Technically the Field of Stars should Always be on the left, but this is how I saw it in person)

Now This is where I lost all respect for TSA, not that I had much when I started my day. I watched in horror as several 85+ senior women where walked through scanners and one pulled aside and had 3 different personnel patting her down multiple times and ran wands all over her, at one point making her cry. I later found out she had a simple joint replacement and had a doctors not testifying to the fact that she has metal parts from such surgery. Right after you guessed it I was AGAIN pulled aside for a "Random Security Check" and pat down. I will not go into great detail but YES I finally spoke some of my mind and yes It probably got me put on a list for next time. I have since learned TSA is on the lookout for people in "Tactical Clothing" I guess this includes my Fire Dept Shirt and 5.11 Pants.

Anyways after dealing with those jerks I decided a GOOD Lunch was in order, and was so hungry that I forgot to snap a photo of my Turkey Burger and Seasoned Freedom Fries (yes I have a problem calling them french fries) from Fudruckers, but I did get this.
While waiting for the flight to board to Dallas, Tx I noticed this flying by the Terminal, I wonder what important Government Official is on Board.
Well I'm finally Boarding the Flight to Dallas, Tx and eventually back Home
I went to sleep shortly after we got in the air, listening to a amazing playlist of some of my favorite bands.


Oasis, Bush, Linkin Park, The Offspring, U2, Nirvana, Metallica, The Cure and Collective Soul. I Will definitely be adding some more awesome 90's grunge/alternative to the mix as it is my favorite. I awoke to some crazy turbulence as we made it over DFW Airspace and I managed to snap a picture of what I assume is a Whataburger 
After we Landed at DFW, we only had a few minutes to wait before we started the final leg of our journey home witch was the connecting flight to Tyler.
Speeding down the runway for takeoff.
Another great shot of Clouds and the Sun midway during our Flight home.
A short 26 Minutes after we took off, we where wheels down on the tarmac.
Another Shot of the War Hero's All Along the Watchtower.
I was exhausted when we got off our flight, but I managed to carry my bags the long, cold and rainy walk to my Xterra alone, and managed to get them loaded.
Then I notice this, Didn't I make it a point to check and double check to make sure all of my windows where rolled ups since I knew it was going to rain all weekend.
FINALLY After a 30 minute drive I was back home and in the comfort of my awesome bed and yes my amazing Blue Plaid comforter. My last thought as I was changing and brushing my teeth was "I need some rest because I'm exhausted and I will be doing this all over in 4 days when we head to Las Vegas for SHOT Show 2012"  My Head barely hit the pillow before I was sound asleep...




All in All this was a very fun trip, even with a few bad run in with a certain overbearing Government Agency, I had a very good experience traveling to New England and Washington D.C. I can't wait to return to both with enough time to see everything I wanted too.

Thank you For Reading, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did living and writing it. Stay tuned for my Blog about our Vegas Trip Here in just a few short days.

-Nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment